We are searching for the best available offers...
Hotel review overview
Superb location with excellent staff
- Recommended hotel
- Beach holiday
- August 2013
This hotel was exactly what we needed after arriving in Crete at 10pm and then driving from Heraklion to Chania. It's 24 hour check-in meant our midnight arrival went seemlessly. Our connecting rooms were spotless and the breakfast the following morning was bountiful and delicious. Not the cheapest option for a stay in Chania but worth the extra money. The only drawback for us was that as a family of 5 we needed an extra bed in the connecting room for which there was really not adequate space but this was a very minor moan as we spent little time ... in our rooms anyway.
Information about Hotel Akali
Hotel description *
- LocationThe hotel is situated in the picturesque city of Chania, which has been inhabited since prehistoric times. It is around 500 m from the tourist centre and the beach, and only approximately 800 m to the city centre. The town's architecture is a mixture of Minoan, Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Venetian, Turkish, ancient and modern Greek. It has a busy commercial centre, a beautiful Venetian harbour surrounded by the old town with concealed squares, and a labyrinth of narrow streets full of life and lined with charming shops, restaurants, taverns and bars. Souda Port is around 5 km away, and Chania Airport is around 10 km away.
- The city hotel offers 82 rooms. Facilities include a bar and comfortable sitting areas which lead towards a well-maintained courtyard with a snack bar. Recently fitted with modern equipment and luxurious decoration, the newly refurbished conference centre holds from 10 to 300 persons and is perfect for all kinds of social events. Room service is also available.
- The 82 rooms are stylishly furnished, and have modern bathrooms and private balconies. They are air-conditioned and feature satellite TV, a safe, hairdryer, music, direct dial telephone and a minibar. The 4 superior rooms are custom furnished and offer additional facilities.
- The hotel facilities include a swimming pool that operates daily during the spring and summer months.
- Breakfast consists of a buffet with a great variety of warm and cold dishes, seasonal fruits, fruit salads and other items. The hotel restaurant serves traditional Cretan cuisine. Lunch and dinner are offered à la carte.
* Neither HolidayCheck nor the provider assumes liability for the accuracy and completeness of the content displayed above. Please take note of the hotel description of the respective operator and bear in mind that the services included in an offer may differ from the catalog description presented here. We are obliged to offer solely those services available at the time of booking as shown on the booking form. © 2013 Giata
- What the hotel offersWelcome to Akali Hotel Chania is one of the most beautiful towns in Greece, surrounded by sublime beaches, historic treasures and natural wonders. Just a five-minute walk from its central square and on the main road leading to the rest of the region, the Akali Hotel offers an excellent base for discovering the town and all of Western Crete. In Greek mythology, Akali was once known as a goddess of nature on the island of Crete and the daughter of the famed King Minos, after whom Crete's venerable Minoan civilization was named. This enchanting backdrop sets the stage for exploring the rich heritage, natural beauty and magical places of Crete. What makes the Akali Hotel special is the mix of world-class services and local hospitality. This is the only hotel in the four-star and five-star category in the middle of Chania that has a swimming pool, as well as the only central one with dedicated conference rooms, making it very popular with vacationers and businesspeople alike. At the Akali, Mediterranean hospitality is enhanced by the very generous breakfast buffet that offers continental favorites and a delicious variety of Cretan breakfast specialties. The hotel's public spaces are embellished with local stone, traditional pieces of furniture and a distinct Cretan design element that adds personality and character. The hotel's rooms are equipped with mini bar, double-glazed windows, free wireless internet access, hairdryer and satellite television. There are a number of completely renovated suites that offer more space and luxury, featuring designer bathrooms with large shower spaces, sophisticated bedding, attractive art and a quiet pool view. Yet the best part of this experience is that the Akali is only a few minutes' walk from the beach of Nea Chora and its traditional restaurants. It is also a 10-minute walk to the old harbor of Chania, a true jewel on the Mediterranean that mixes Greek, Venetian and Ottoman styles. You are indeed just minutes away by foot from one of the most beautiful harbors in the country, and just a drive away from some of the most amazing beaches in the world. Welcome to the Akali!
- LocationThis is indeed the perfect location to enjoy Chania and all of Western Crete. On one hand the hotel is a short walk to the beach and old town, and on another it lies on the main road that takes you to the rest of the island, as well as just a five-minute walk to the town's bus station. From here you could catch a bus to practically anywhere in Crete and visit its stunningly beautiful attractions. The airport is conveniently only about 15 minutes away by taxi, and if you have a car you'll find that the best beaches on this side of the island are all within easy reach. The town itself is a fascinating mix of boutiques, museums, architectural styles, traditional buildings, holy sites, nightspots and restaurants, opening up a world of dreamy activities and entertainment for you to enjoy. Sports facilities, nature escapes and shopping streets are also part of this wonderful package. Chania is indeed one of the best destinations in Greece.
- AccommodationThere are several room types to choose from, such as town view for a genuine feel of Mediterranean life or pool view to keep an eye on children. Another important feature for families or business partners is the connecting rooms that provide easy and private access for up to five people without having to step outside their quarters. All the rooms boast free wireless internet access for unmatched connectivity 24 hours a day. Rooms at a glance: >King-size bed or two single beds >Sound proof windows >Bathtub, or spacious shower in suites >Satellite TV >Safe deposit box >Hairdryer >Direct dial telephone >Central heating and air-conditioning >Mini Bar >Bathroom cosmetics >Wireless internet access (free of charge)
- Food and DrinkCretan cuisine is famous for its health benefits, and enjoying one's food is a very important part of Greek and Cretan hospitality. The Akali Hotel invites you to 'eat breakfast like a king', as the saying goes. To be precise, like a Minoan king who used to feast on all the goods of the land. Fresh local fruit, ripe olives from the trees, sweet cheese pies (kalitsounia) and honey-topped donut balls (loukoumades) are just some of the breakfast favorites available for you to enjoy. Once you enter the breakfast area in the lobby, you'll be spoiled for choice from both eastern and western traditions. Try a more Cretan breakfast with white cheese, egg, olives, tomatoes, cucumber and local biscuits (koulourakia), or sample more continental favorites such as jam, butter, cake, toast and omelet. Different types of coffee, from American to Greek, in addition to a selection of teas, will render your morning a superb one. Worthy of note is the traditional Cretan coffee heated in a small pit of coal (Hovoli), right on the breakfast buffet. Prepare yourself for a superb breakfast. Throughout the day, you can also order from a light and fresh room service menu with plenty of choices based on local ingredients. In the warmer months, you can also enjoy these favorites by the pool and its delightful snack bar, under the blue skies of Crete. In the meantime, all year round the cozy central bar off the lobby is popular with guests and their friends for a leisurely get-together, especially before going out or after a day at the beach. Enjoy a splendid hot coffee or cold Frappe coffee – a famous Greek specialty – in addition to a variety of snack items and sandwiches.
- Other facilities and servicesSit back, relax and enjoy the only hotel in the middle of town with a swimming pool. Surf on the internet or conduct your business from anywhere in the hotel, free of charge. Enjoy one of the heartiest and healthiest breakfasts ever with our Cretan and international buffet, or have an evening cocktail at the bar. These are just some of the facilities that all travelers to the hotel enjoy, be they here for business or on vacation. The quiet poolside garden courtyard is also delightful for a coffee, dessert or toasted sandwich, just perfect for reveling in the open-air and Mediterranean weather. Businesspeople will also enjoy all the support and services provided on the property, from the three large conference rooms to fax and photocopy facilities. The lobby is the ideal place to meet friends and plan your trip around the town or to Western Crete, and the reception team will gladly recommend the best places to go. Noteworthy is the lobby's local décor and special 'Stouraika' stone tiles crafted on the island of Evia, the same material that the famous 'Drakospita' houses of Evia are built with. This delightful gathering place boasts an antique chest from Marseilles (once an ancient Greek colony), in addition to a variety of embroidered fabrics depicting Crete's outstanding handicraft. The traditional stone fireplace, often lit during the winter, is another local element to enjoy. Indeed, there's a personal touch at the Akali Hotel that differentiates it from other hotels in its class, combining warm décor, famous Cretan hospitality and genuine attention to every guest with a superb set of first-class services. Beyond the local welcome, international hotel services are there of course, from babysitting and baggage storage to airport pickup and booking of guided tours. Last but not least, the Akali Hotel is proud of its towel recycling program that contributes to preserving the environment and minimizing wastewater. It is also planning other green initiatives that will appeal to today's responsible traveler and will help make Greece a more sustainable tourism destination.
- Meeting/Banquet Facilities
- Non-smoking room
- Hairdressers/Beauty salon
- Business centre
- Hotel safe
- Central heating
- Air conditioning
- Free parking
- Additional childrens' bed
- Satellite TV
- Wake up call/Alarm clock
- Diabetic menu
- Hotel bar
- Breakfast buffet
A choice of sports
- Bicycle hire
Other hotel information
- 24 hour reception
- Babysitting/Child services
- Express check in and check out
- Car hire
- Ticket service
- Information desk
- Currency exchange
- Free Wifi access included
- Laundry service
Nearby - Hotels and Things to do
- Things to do & See