At a glance
- Great location (2) "Great location" found in 2 reviews
- " Older manageable hotel in central great location "May 2012
- " Very old hotel and mediocre condition. Compared to the less expensive older new York hotels but in rather good condition, especially also clean. The rash of election this hotel gives clearly the perfect location directly on the corner Powell/ Market Street. Countless bars/ restaurants and options for ... "May 2012
We are searching for the best available offers...
Hotel review overview
Summary of guest reviews by category
- Surroundings (2) Comments related to "Location" found in 2 reviews
- " Older manageable hotel in central great location " read hotel reviewMay 2012
- " Very old hotel and mediocre condition. Compared to the less expensive older new York hotels but in rather good condition, especially also clean. The rash of election this hotel gives clearly the perfect location directly on the corner Powell/ Market Street. Countless bars/ restaurants and options for ... " read hotel reviewMay 2012
- Surroundings (2)
Central location of San Francisco next to Powel st
- Hotel not recommended
- Beach holiday
- April 2012
This hotel has excellent location. Unfortunately thats all it has that is good... the first room they gave us was a stinky small room with a window to the inside of the building where pigeons live. After we denied staying at this dark "room" we were switched to a better room with daily light. The furnishing and everything is old and dated.
OK stay - pretty old
- Hotel not recommended
- Business trip
- September 2011
great location, you can walk anywhere. The hotel itself is pretty old and not maintained well. Rooms are old and smells strange. OK for a short stay if you only need a bed to sleep, but would not recommend for a family trip.
Older manageable hotel in central great location
- Recommended hotel
- Other stay
- September 2011
Very old hotel and mediocre condition. Compared to the less expensive older new York hotels but in rather good condition, especially also clean. The rash of election this hotel gives clearly the perfect location directly on the corner Powell/ Market Street. Countless bars/ restaurants and options for shopping, as well as sights in next proximity. The cable car is directly in front of the hotel. Wieterempfehlung only because of the location, less because of the atmosphere.
Information about Hotel The Powell
Hotel description *
- LocationThis boutique hotel is centrally located in Downtown San Francisco at the cable car turnaround. It lies across the street from the Westfield shopping centre with over 100 stores, restaurants and theatres. Union Square is 2 blocks away and the Moscone convention centre is 2.5 blocks away. This property is an ideal location for both leisure and business travellers and the Market Street bus station and Muni metro stop are nearby, as is BART metro station. The city centre is about a 10-minute walk and it is about 24 minutes by car to Oakland.
- This city hotel was built in 1908 and was formerly known as Hotel Turpin. It used to have a total of 200 guest rooms and opened in 1983 as the Powell Hotel and over the years, the rooms were renovated to the current 138 guest rooms, including 78 singles, 2 suites and 8 junior suites. The establishment is an older hotel with many of the original elements still preserved, such as wrought iron railings in the stairwells of the 6-storey building. Facilities on offer to guests include a lobby area with 24-hour reception and check-out services, a hotel safe, lift access and a newspaper stand. There is a café and guests will appreciate the conference facilities and Internet access. There is covered garage parking available for those arriving by car.
- The rooms are small but have 10 m ceilings. The cosy rooms are decorated in a soothing olive, taupe and tan colour scheme and photos of vintage San Francisco are hung on the walls. The beds have plush pillow-top mattresses with exclusive linens and all rooms come with a private bathroom with a shower/bathtub and a hairdryer. They are equipped with a direct dial telephone, a flat-panel TV, a radio, a coffee machine and complimentary wireless Internet access. The rooms facing Powell and Cyril Magnin streets offer the sights and sounds of the city, whereas the interior guest rooms face light wells that create a quieter atmosphere. Furthermore, a safe and an ironing set are provided in all accommodation units as standard.
- The hotel accepts all major credit cards, including American Express, Diners Club, JCB, MasterCard and VISA.
- This hotel offers complimentary wine receptions Monday through Thursday from 5 pm to 6.30 pm on the mezzanine level. Valet parking is available for an additional fee per night.
- This hotel is centrally located in Downtown San Francisco, where all means of public transportation are available.
* Neither HolidayCheck nor the provider assumes liability for the accuracy and completeness of the content displayed above. Please take note of the hotel description of the respective operator and bear in mind that the services included in an offer may differ from the catalog description presented here. We are obliged to offer solely those services available at the time of booking as shown on the booking form. © 2013 Giata
- Luggage room
- Meeting/Banquet Facilities
- Non-smoking room
- Business centre
- Hotel safe
- Car park
- Coffee and tea
- Hair dryer
- Electronic room keys
- Wake up call/Alarm clock
- Pets allowed
A choice of sports
Other hotel information
- 24 hour reception
- Gay friendly
- Airport transfer
- Express check in and check out
- Car hire
- Pets allowed
- Children welcome
- All public and private areas are no smoking zones
- Free Wifi access included
- Laundry service
Nearby - Hotels and Things to do
- Things to do & See