Sol Y Mar Hotel Sharks Bay (4 stars)

2 B Entrance Of Sharks Bay North Naama Bay Sharm El Sheikh 00328 South Sinai / Egypt View on map

Average rating

Filters
You selected:
23 hotel reviews for undefined sorted by travel date
Alexa
This was my 16. Egypt-holiday, hotel is super!
  • April 2013
Small hotel in very clean condition. Staff always friendly. Not directly at the beach however great shuttle service read hotel review
    4.7
    4.6
Sue & Colin
Superb and friendly hotel
  • February 2013
We have just returned from a two week holiday at the Sol y Mar Sharks Bay and had the most enjoyable time. The hotel is spotless and airy and the rooms are super with lovely views of the pool. The staff from the General Manager (Ibrahim)to the Ground Staff are friendly and courteous always with a friendly smile and warm greeting. read hotel review
    6.0

Our room was great and as with all rooms overlooked the pool. Our room was cleaned everyday and towels replaced daily. The highlight of our room was the different amazing Towel Art which greeted us every afternoon when we returned to our room.

6.0

The food is excellent and plentiful with choices for every taste.Some nights I was spoilt for choice. The pastries and cakes are delicious. The Chefs never seem to get recognised for their hard work but we would like to thank them as their food was gorgeous everyday. The Chefs always had a big smile and warm welcome for us. Excellent Food and Service by all.

6.0

From the General Manager (Ibrahim) to the Ground Staff we cannot praise them enough. We were greeted with a friendly smile and warm greeting by everyone. Special mention to Tamer (restaurant manager) Yousef Maewod Omar & Sharif who looked after us everyday and treated us with great kindness which made us feel very special. Also Mo (pool guy) who greeted us everyday with a big smile and was full of fun. The service we received from all members of staff was superb. The calibre of the staff is excellent.

6.0

The animation team Jenya & Marina were great. They were bubbly and outgoing and always chatted and made you laugh. They work very hard but never once saw them without a huge big smile. Both girls deserve a big thank you for making our time fun. The pool is spotless with a lovely pool bar plenty of sun loungers and towels replaced everyday. There is a separate children's pool and Jacuzzi.

6.0

The Sol y Mar is not on the beach but there is a shuttle bus running everyday to the sister hotel where you have the beach and are able to use the beach bar and snack bar. The Sol y Mar is quiet and away from the hustle and bustle and ideal for a quiet relaxing holiday.

Michael
Great holiday at the Sol Y Mar
  • Other stay
  • February 2013
This was our 2nd visit to his lovely, small, intimate hotel and what a great time we had again. Mr Tasoyan should be very proud of his staff,a special mention Achmed(in the restaurant) Moubark (pool attendant) Mouhad ( pool bar sevice) and Mohammed ( room attendant) who wait on you hand and foot and don't expect a tip although they all got one. This hotel is where you meet people. Some hotels in Egypt you might see someone on Monday and happen to bump into them on a Thursday. The Marlin bar is very welcoming and the Restaurant has ... a great choice of cold and hot food. The pool area is very clean and the pool bar service is second to none. Mr Tasoyan is constantly in house and his team of under managers are polite and very welcoming The rooms are kept very well and the towel art is amazing. We will be back to see all you guys next year and to see the trees that you planted in our honour for coming back. read hotel review
    3.7
Dominykas
Go to Sol Y Mar hotel
  • February 2013
So i liked it very much.The hotel itself is not that that 5 star good,but people there are really friendly.If u want to spend good time u should really check it out.Animators did they best to get people moods up. So the room was clean,it has safe. The food was really tasty,but after 5 days some of it gets borring,like at breakfast.But i really think u can find to eat something every day and you should remember that this is Egypt,not Europe. So the staff is not really good at English ... or Russian.Sometimes its hard to understand what they want to say but u get use to it.Only good speaking staff is animators and reception. So for conculusion i just want to say that this hotel is really good place to spend time.And dont be affraid going to Egypt,in Sharm noone is shootin or doin anythin bad.There was no war there,NEVER. read hotel review
    4.2
Jenny
Sol Y Mar Sharks Bay experience
  • February 2013
What can i say about the SOL Y MAR Hotel,great value for money, the staff were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them, rooms were cleaned everyday and the pool area was kept very clean by the pool staff, the restaurant was very welcoming and the food was varied and freshly cookedThe hotel manager Ibrahim Halil was always present around the hotel and went out of his way to make us welcome (asked how we were and how our stay was going) the waiting staff from the pool bar, restaurant and upstairs bar were all ... very friendly and asked how you were and smiling which made the experience even more pleasant we stayed at the sol y mar from the 1st feb to the 15th feb, the hotel is small compared to most in sharm el sheikh but that made it more intimate and we got to know and make friends with alot of people staying there and have kept intouch since we returned I would even say that there may be a sol y mar reunion next year for most of us shuttle bus available to the sister hotel to the beach and taxis to soho sq, old market and naama bay very reasonably priced with the hotel read hotel review
Kerry
Welcome to The Hotel Sol Y Mar
  • Singles
  • January 2013
WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW.one WOW for each star rating and more needed for this wonderful hotel. What can I say.having just returned on 28.02.2013 to England after spending 44 nights at this cracking place. I must firstly congratulate and thank the (Big Boss!) Ibrahim for running such a superb hotel. From the start of my stay to the last minute of leaving Sol Y Mar, I was truly in awe of the kindness and treatment I received. Sol Y Mar isn't just a normal run of the mill hotel abroad, it became my second ... home and I cannot wait to return. That may be a little too much for the staff. but it is all their fault for making me feel so welcome and looking after me so well. Sol Y Mar staff are like family members to me, my every request and query dealt with and resolved. The reception of the hotel was warm and friendly, and completely redecorated during my stay. All queries etc. dealt with promptly (thanks Sayed and Ashraf, and the rest of the team) My room was lovely, comfortable and kept clean every day with the most exquisite towel art (thank you Yousef) and a couple of small maintenance problems resolved very quickly, nothing is too much trouble for the staff. The restaurant, now we are talking, seriously good food, too many Chefs and waiters with their fingers in the pie to mention everyone by name and extremely vigilant restaurant managers. Exceptional quality and plenty of options from excellent international fare, to my preferred choice of traditional local dishes. One of the impressive things for me was seeing the staff, from Ibrahim down through the ranks joining us to eat in the restaurant, an every day occurrence. The bar areas were well run, pool side really good with a lovely snack bar for the lazy days when it was too much effort to walk up a flight of stairs for a bite to eat (thanks to another star, Yousef, for encouraging my inactivity with your efficient constantly on the go service!!) Leading onto the pool side and night time entertainment, always something to do if I was that way inclined or nothing if I chose to just relax. Superb pool side towel service and superb staff with good senses of humour (Ahmed as a life guard you should be able to swim, hahaha !!!) ) There are some brilliant performers in entertainment at Sol Y Mar, (come on Miki get your hands in your pocket and buy the lads some proper tap shoes for the Riverdance.hahaha) (thanks Marina and Jenya, you made me laugh so much, well done) Sol Y Mar is a little off the beaten track but ideally suited me, however the free shuttle service to her sister hotel Jaz Belvedere (on the beach) for me allowed for a busy day to then return home to a more sedate, relaxed evening. I could absolutely write a book about my six and 1/2 week stay in Sharm El Sheikh, but that isn't what this review is about maybe someday I will!! The review is all about the Sol Y Mar experience and boy oh boy what a fabulous experience it has been. I am planning to return, next month and will do this review all over again.with one difference.how can you review any better on an already excellent hotel. Till we meet again.Oh! and should you so choose, please enjoy Sol Y Mar, I just did.Kerry read hotel review
    6.0

Loved my room, it was comfortable, clean and well equipped with what a holiday maker requires. Having been asked the question from a fellow traveller on Trip Advisor, there is provided in the room, hand wash gel at the sink, and shampoo/body wash in the shower, plus hairdryer. In the room was your own personal safe, minIbar, telephone, TV, air-con/heating, balcony. For me personally, all that a girl needs!!!

6.0

Main restaurant for all meals and a poolside bar for daytime snacks and drinks. Poolside bar available in the evening for special occasions if so required. Upstairs bar for afternoon tea, and for evening drinks and entertainment. The chefs/waiters pride themselves and are superb in the exceptional service offered to each hotel guest. The food available is just incredible with so much variety, and I can say this with hand on heart, in the whole of my 44 night stay, I could not find fault in anything in the restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed everything that I consumed. I was a little confused with the tipping practice, maybe a central unified tipping service or similar could be adopted. All of the staff were equally deserving but sadly I was unable to fund each individual. A tip was not expected at all, the staff were happy making sure that I was satisfied, it was how I felt.

6.0

As mentioned in the general section, Sol Y Mar is run like a small family type hotel which makes it so pleasantly intimate. The staff are constantly watching and checking without actually bothering you, almost like a silent Big Brother, which all adds to a fantastic holiday . Their knowledge of many languages is superb. There was a small issue re: the hotel Wi-fi, which was and is being addressed as I write this review, this was with regards to local charges and duration of service.

6.0

Yes, the sport and entertainment was superb, there was always something happening but you could either join in or not as the activity or the inactivity dictated!!! Facilities both at the poolside and the beach (Jaz Belvedere) were excellent, clean and catering for the necessities of life by the water's edge. My only complaint and it is minor when all things are considered, was the local charges and duration of service of the Hotel's Wi-fi service. However, following my complaint, the service was improved, but I feel that further improvements could still be made.

6.0

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW......one WOW for each star rating and more needed for this wonderful hotel. What can I say.......having just returned on 28.02.2013 to England after spending 44 nights at this cracking place. I must firstly congratulate and thank the (Big Boss!) Ibrahim for running such a superb hotel. From the start of my stay to the last minute of leaving Sol Y Mar, I was truly in awe of the kindness and treatment I received. Sol Y Mar isn't just a normal run of the mill hotel abroad, it became my second home and I cannot wait to return. That may be a little too much for the staff..... but it is all their fault for making me feel so welcome and looking after me so well. Sol Y Mar staff are like family members to me, my every request and query dealt with and resolved. The reception of the hotel was warm and friendly, and completely redecorated during my stay. All queries etc. dealt with promptly (thanks Sayed and Ashraf, and the rest of the team) My room was lovely, comfortable and kept clean every day with the most exquisite towel art (thank you Yousef) and a couple of small maintenance problems resolved very quickly, nothing is too much trouble for the staff. The restaurant, now we are talking, seriously good food, too many Chefs and waiters with their fingers in the pie to mention everyone by name and extremely vigilant restaurant managers. Exceptional quality and plenty of options from excellent international fare, to my preferred choice of traditional local dishes. One of the impressive things for me was seeing the staff, from Ibrahim down through the ranks joining us to eat in the restaurant, an every day occurrence. The bar areas were well run, pool side really good with a lovely snack bar for the lazy days when it was too much effort to walk up a flight of stairs for a bite to eat (thanks to another star, Yousef, for encouraging my inactivity with your efficient constantly on the go service!!) Leading onto the pool side and night time entertainment, always something to do if I was that way inclined or nothing if I chose to just relax. Superb pool side towel service and superb staff with good senses of humour (Ahmed as a life guard you should be able to swim, hahaha !!! ;) ) There are some brilliant performers in entertainment at Sol Y Mar, (come on Miki get your hands in your pocket and buy the lads some proper tap shoes for the Riverdance....hahaha) (thanks Marina and Jenya, you made me laugh so much, well done) Sol Y Mar is a little off the beaten track but ideally suited me, however the free shuttle service to her sister hotel Jaz Belvedere (on the beach) for me allowed for a busy day to then return home to a more sedate, relaxed evening. I could absolutely write a book about my six and 1/2 week stay in Sharm El Sheikh, but that isn't what this review is about maybe someday I will!! The review is all about the Sol Y Mar experience and boy oh boy what a fabulous experience it has been. I am planning to return, next month and will do this review all over again.......with one difference......how can you review any better on an already excellent hotel. Till we meet again........Oh! and should you so choose, please enjoy Sol Y Mar, I just did...........Kerry

6.0

Approx. 5/10 minutes in the complimentary shuttle bus to the sister hotel Jaz Belvedere, which is situated on a lovely sandy beach,where use of the snack and beach bar and facilities are included. Local Naama Bay and the Old Market have excellent all round shopping/bar facilities, easily reached via a short bus/taxi journey.Both hotels offering good quality excursion options, which I took great advantage of.

Anne
Relaxtion, great food and fab staff
  • Other stay
  • December 2012
I find this hotel extremely relaxing. I stayed at this hotel twice in 2012;on my own in Dec for a week & with a friend for 1wk in April,I love its location & the fact its far from Naama Bay & "the madding crowd"! Its very clean & tidy. Very near by is Soho Square which has shops & bars if you decide to venture out. I feel safe & cared for at Sol Y Mar and nothing is too much trouble for the Manager,Ibrahim & his staff. It is only a small hotel but I personally ... prefer that. Big shout out to the Chefs who cook food to tantalize your tastebuds daily & the pastries/confectionary are scrummy. I shall be returning in 2013 for a longer stay. Happy days! read hotel review
Andreas
Great hotel top price
  • December 2012
Great hotel and the staff fulfilled the guests each request and you have the feeling all already very long to know. The food is varied and very good. read hotel review
    5.4
Wolfgang
Great holiday
  • August 2012
No own beach. Shuttlebuses bring you to the partnerhotel "jaz-belvedere" several times a day with its beautiful beach. The area around the hotel is not very attractive but inside the hotel it is a different world, like an oases. Sharks Bay is a smaller hotel with allmost familiar tough. Not as crowded and noisy as other hotels for exaple in Naama Bay. You realy can relaxe there and spend nice holidays. read hotel review

Archived reviews

These are not counted into the current average review rating, as the journey took place more than 25 months ago, or the hotel has completely changed.
Aline
Do not book over schauinsland travel! archived
  • Hotel not recommended
  • July 2012
This hotel has no beach! The food ( especially snack bar etc.) is always the same. The hotel is as a prison. There is a pool, a restaurant and a bar. All around -> fence! read hotel review
    3.8
    1.4
Jade
Solymar archived
  • August 2011
The hotel is very clean and tidy. read hotel review
    5.0

The room was quite big and the cleaner always left towels sculptures on our beds. the tv had quite good channels as well.

4.0

The food was really good but a bit repetive and the restaurants was quiet and didnt have a lot of atmosphere but other rhan that it was very good.

5.0

The staff are very friendly amd chatty. They all seem to known every single language.

4.0

the entertainment was pretty bad for the first couple of days but then they borght a new entertainment person and everything improved.

4.0

The hotel is very clean and tidy.

5.0

its only a taxi ride to the beach and shops which is good because its quite quiet.

Susan
Sol y Mar hotel archived
  • August 2011
hotel in good condition all areas kept clean read hotel review
    6.0

fantastic housekeeping fabulous very friendly and helpful.

5.0

Very clean food been good so far.

6.0

fantastic all staff very very helpful and friendly excellent with children seem in dolphin bar fabolous.

5.0

Good music just right and good range of activities.

4.0

hotel in good condition all areas kept clean

5.0

Good location to airport but otherwise involved.

Michael
Sol y Mar archived
  • Hotel not recommended
  • August 2011
very good clean and helpful staff read hotel review
    4.0

Very clean and very nice. Okay

5.0

Same food every day very clean no great selection of beer or drinks.

5.0

Staff need updating on english. In general good.

3.0

Very poor no entertainment for adults makes holiday for young couple disaster.

5.0

very good clean and helpful staff

5.0

Airport close everything else miles away from hotel.

Ellis
Sol y Mar holiday archived
  • August 2011
the hotel was very clean. The pool side is always clean. The rooms were cleaned everyday. read hotel review
    5.0

The room was very nice but nothing special.

5.0

The restaurant was very clean but the food was very repeatative but nice the atmosphere was dead and boring an evening.

5.0

They were very friendly are hlepful amd most know very good english.

3.0

They dont have very many activities on an evening or day time a 5 a lid you have to nice your own fun.

6.0

Soho sav are is a ten minute taxi away and the air port is also about 10 minutes away Nama bay is not far and soho square is a 5 mins Jarney.

Michelle
Sol y Mar rive world archived
  • August 2011
Very good, very clean. In general good. read hotel review
    6.0

very good very clean linen very white and clean.

6.0

Very good atmosphere, food could ba a little better. Cold drinks would be better in bigger glassis restaurant very clean.

6.0

very helpful staff very good very helpful. Cant do enough for you.

5.0

Good. Think entertainment could be a let better as night times from 9.30 pm it is very quitet.

5.0

Very good, very clean. In general good.

4.0

Surroundings for shops and hotel beach and airport very good.

Liam
Holiday archived
  • August 2011
The hotel in general very good clean and tidy. read hotel review
    5.0

Nice size room, very clean and tidy.

3.0

Could need better selectia of good and drinks. Need selectted water.

5.0

Very friendly easly to understand. Good

4.0

Nice a big pool. generally good.

4.0

The hotel in general very good clean and tidy.

3.0

Location and surr. a bit ant of the way.

Kevin
Sol y Mar hotel. archived
  • August 2011
The hotel is kept clean and tidy. read hotel review
    6.0

Room fine and kept clean. Nice to have free use of safe in room.

5.0

Restaurant choice of food is ok. But not a great selection of food avaliable during the day in the snack bar.

5.0

The service is good and the staff are friendly and helpful.

4.0

Pool great and clean entertainment is limitted, especially in the evening.

5.0

The hotel is kept clean and tidy.

4.0

Hotel not located near to shops or ammenites the hotel is not witchin walking distance of the beach, but the hotel provide a shuttle bus service ( free ) to the beach at sister hotel.

Susan
Shark Bay hotel archived
  • August 2011
Excellent clean hotel with friendly staff. Nothing to much bother. read hotel review
    6.0

Room was a good size and beds and linen were very good. only downfall was shower is very slippy could do with a shower mat yo prevent fals.

6.0

Food is fresh, some dishes cooked as you wait, and very tasty.

6.0

All staff are very helpful and friendly.

5.0

Entertainment team very friendly and try hard to involve everyone in activities.

6.0

Excellent clean hotel with friendly staff. Nothing to much bother.

5.0

hotel in a quiet area, but was ok due to curtisy bus to beach and other areas were only a short taxi ride.

Clare
Sol y Mar. archived
  • August 2011
Very clean rooms dining room all indoors pool and area could be a bit cleaner read hotel review
    5.0

everything okay. Clean and tidy. Comfortable beds.

5.0

All food could to a good standard.

very friendly. English very good. Good

4.0

Music could be moor varied moor varied entertainment at night eg caberat.

5.0

Very clean rooms dining room all indoors pool and area could be a bit cleaner

4.0

generally good location. Close to shops

Emma
Sol y Mar archived
  • August 2011
The hotel in general is good. clean and tidy. read hotel review
    5.0

FAb clean tidy plenty of room and free safe :)

4.0

Not a great selection of snacks during the day, food in restaurant good but limited choice available

4.0

very friendly helpful and polite.

4.0

no great evening restaurant. generally good.

5.0

The hotel in general is good. clean and tidy.

3.0

Not great but far away from shops and beach.