A place travelers can visit The Louvre

Reviews: The Louvre

Reviews- The Louvre
Category: Sightseeing
Subcategory Museum
Overall Rating
4.4166666666667
5.3
Suns
Recommended by 98%


General description: The Louvre

The Louvre is the most extensive museum in the world focusing especially on old masters of all cultures. After all, the "Venus de Milo" (2nd century BC), Leonardo da Vinci's "Mona Lisa" (16th century) or Jan Vermeer's "Lacemakers" (17th century) aren't the only venerable ladies to be seen.

Finding your way around
If you want to avoid the long queue at the main entrance beneath the pyramid, go in by the Porte des Lions (Seine side) in the Denon Wing. From there, you will soon find yourself at Leonardo da Vinci's hugely popular "La Joconde" - the "Mona Lisa", which now glows in a new light in the freshly refurbished Salle des États. You should also be sure to pick up a floor plan from the information desk, and get a weekly overview which will tell you when certain collections are closed. With all this in hand, those with a hunger for culture can look forward to an opulent menu which reaches back to the 7th century BC The Oriental, Egyptian (especially monumental) and Graeco-Roman cultures are presented in three complexes (Denon, Sully and Richelieu). Alongside European sculpture from the Middle Ages to the 19th century, fine arts and over 10,000 graphic works from six centuries, another highlight is the collection of paintings which recounts the history of European painting from the 13th to the 19th century, arranged by region. In the magnificent Apollon Gallery, the exuberant stucco work, crown jewels and paintings of Charles Le Brun, Eugène Delacroix and others bear witness to the might of the Sun King Louis XIV.

The Louvre for people who don't enjoy museums
You can also interrupt your museum visit by visiting the Carrousel du Louvre, a tastefully designed underground shopping arcade (also open on Sundays), a café or one of the many international fast-food outlets. Even if you don't want to visit the museum at all, it's worth taking a look at the Louvre buildings, which developed from 12th century fortress to Renaissance palace. The exposed medieval foundations, the Cour Carée which is beautifully illuminated in the evenings, the little Arc de Triomphe which stands in the same line of sight as its big brother, and the daring glass pyramid designed by Chinese architect Ieoh Ming Pei are the absolute highlights of any visit to Paris.

Whether beneath the glass pyramid or in the Renaissance palace, one can spend weeks in the world's most extensive museum.

Louvre Details
Musée du Louvre
75001 Paris
Subway stops; Palais Royal - Musée du Louvre
 
 
Admission
€10 for a full day pass.
Multimedia guides cost €6.
Concession, group discounts and free admission available see website for details.
 
Opening Hours
Mon, Thu, Sat, Sun 9am-6pm
Wed, Fri 9am-9.45pm
Tues: Closed
 
Website: www.louvre.fr


613 Pictures: The Louvre

The Louvre
by Devendra in March 15
The Louvre
by Devendra in March 15

The Louvre
by Poonam in March 15
The Louvre
by Poonam in March 15

The Louvre
by Poonam in March 15
The Louvre
by Poonam in March 15
More Pictures

66 reviews The Louvre

6.0
Suns
Louvre in Paris houses amazing attractions like world famous Monalisa, statue of cupid, venus de melo, winged victory and huge number of paintings. After Cairo museum, it houses the biggest collection of Egyptian antiquities. Besides having a enviable collection of artefacts, the whole building was a palace and marvellous in architecture. Also invest in paying for a audio guide which is really useful in walking through myriad of galleries. Avoid loooong queues by buying ticket online or before hand. It can easily cost hours trying to buy a t... Read more
in March 15,
Devendra, Age 31-35

6.0
Suns
The great thing about the Louvre is not only the beauty of the art but the sheer size of the place. This means that, despite its world-famous status, most of it is never uncomfortably crowded -- even on free entry days. Of course there are crowds around the Mona Lisa and the other 1% of incredibly famous works, but if you're looking at the other 99% you'll generally have room to breathe and think. Read more
in January 14,
Pontus, Age 31-35

Hotels nearby


Timhotel Le Louvre
4.4
Suns
100% recommendation
Hotel :
offers from €54.00
per night
0.4 km away

Hotel L'empire Paris
5.6
Suns
100% recommendation
Hotel :
offers from €179.00
per night
0.4 km away

Hotel Du Louvre
5.5
Suns
100% recommendation
Hotel :
offers from €150.00
per night
0.4 km away